Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Katy Perry Inspired Candyland Birthday




A good friend of mine asked me to help out with her daughter's 7th birthday party and I happily agreed. She then told me the theme was Katy Perry / California Dreams which stumped me. Now I admit I am a bit slow on the pop culture so my husband told me to watch the music video so I could understand the theme.
For those are also a bit pop culture dificient haven't seen it, you can watch it on YouTube. But the quick version is, it really is a cute video, white trees with pink cotton candy, cotton candy clouds, ice cream cone castles and the Candyland board comes to life except, Katy Perry is also pretty much either naked in most scenes or shooting whipped cream from her bra while singing lyrics not suitable for children.
I figured Jazley, the birthday girl, saw the video and fell in love with all the pretty elements and Candyland setting in the video and everything else (hopefully) went over her head. So together with her mom, we decided to use the video as inspiration for our "Jazleyland" table. I had done a candy themed party before and you can view that post here, but I wanted this table to really showcase elements from the music video and not just be a candy table.




In the video Katy Perry's hair is bright blue and she is wearing a headband with a purple heart on the side. I really thought this was cute and carried the idea to the cupcakes. The cupcakes were strawberry with blue cream cheese frosting and a purple candy heart on top.



Jazley's mom Aprile made these adorable lollipops out of paper plates and balloons. She also found these beautiful flowers at the doller store. She set the lollipops and flowers up against the walls to mimic the candy forest in the video.







I made a bunting banner that spelled Jazleyland that we attached to the tablecloth




I also made paper plate candies which I taped to the wall with a poster of Jazley in a blue wig above the candy table.


The table was filled with both handmade candy and store bought favorites.

















mini white chocolate cupcake candies


Ice cream cone cakes with meringue icing




While I tried to bring down the theme to be appropriate for a little girl, I couldn't help but have a little fun with the gingerbread people which were actually sugar cookies.





I also made centerpieces with larger paper lollipops that coordinated with the cupcake toppers and candy jars labels.




Jazley's mom also set up a photo booth complete with props. The kids posed in front of a green screen and we were emailed our pictures with our trip to Jazleyland Photoshopped in.

This is what it looked like when guests posed for the photos


And this is what we were sent. Pretty cool, huh?


It was a sweet party for a very sweet little girl. Happy Birthday Jazley!




more photos can be viewed on the facebook page

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I cannot stop staring at the pictures. I have to learn how to bake because I love eating cakes and cupcakes. This is going to be so much fun. I even attended a fair last week in one of the Los Angeles venues where beautifully designed cakes were displayed. They tasted heavenly.

    ReplyDelete