Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween with kindergarteners




For my daughter's class party, I decided to do two edible activities with them. We did marshmallow Frankensteins and spider Oreos. I mixed a little food coloring with water so the kids could paint the marshmallows. The black food coloring I used to color my chocolate for Frankenstein's hair and face turned our grayish but I think they still turned out cute.

The spider Oreos were also a good counting exercise for the kids because they had to show me that their spiders had eight legs before they could eat them. I opted to use pretzel sticks instead of licorice to cut down the kids' sugar intake.

For the Frankensteins you will need:
lollipop sticks
marshmallows
green food coloring
water
melted chocolate ( either milk chocolate or white with black coloring)
For the spiders you will need:
Oreos ( double stuffed works best)
thin pretzel sticks ( broken in half)
melted chocolate( to stick on the eyes)
M&M's or Skittles ( for eyes)

1 comment:

  1. It looks like the project went really well! I'm sure they all loved it. Great idea to tie in the counting aspect, too.

    ReplyDelete