Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Amazing Glass Jar




My kitchen cabinet holds an amazing treasure- a collection of glass jars waiting to be reused and repurposed. Every time I empty a jar of pasta sauce, the crafter/ eco-conscious/ semi-hoarder in me says not to throw them away. I know there are plenty of uses for them, I just had to find those ideas.

My main purpose for glass jars is storing used frying oil. Once I fill a jar with oil, I toss it in the trash. Kind of a waste of a perfectly good jar, I know.

My last issue of Family Fun magazine had a great article on meals in a jar. It's the perfect outdoor meal that the kids will enjoy putting together. They used canning jars for their meals so I'm not sure if my pasta jars will work but it's still a great idea worth sharing. They had recipes for omelets in a jar and cakes in a jar.

Determined to find more uses for these jars, I asked my always crafty and creative friends on Blog Frog for ideas. The response was amazing and they also came up with some great projects for reusing glass jars. Here are some of my ideas and their suggestions for reusing jars.

Serving:
1. Use the jars as drinking glasses. Perfect for a western or outdoor themed party. Check out this cowboy themed baby shower on Hostess With the Mostess where they used jars as drinking glasses.






2. Fill with salsas, relishes and sauces at parties.


3. Fill with candy and place on your desk at the office.





Storage:
1.In the kitchen store dry foods such as pasta, beans or cereal. You can even label the jars with vinyl lettering with instructions from Martha Stewart.










2.In the garage, screw the lids to the bottom of a board. fill the jar with small items like nails, bolts, etc. then screw the jar back to the lid.

3.In the craft room, fill with scrapbooking embellishments, buttons, threads.

4. In the office, use as a pen/pencil holder or fill with paper clips and other supplies.



Crafts:
1.Responsibility jar for kids-- decorate the jar then fill with a marble each time they make a good decision or complete chores. Once the jar is filled, they can receive a reward.

2.Use as a candle / votive holder

3. Group jars of various sizes together and use as flower vases.

4. Create a fairy jar

5. There are several science experiments to do with the kids using glass jars. Martha Stewart has a few ideas here.


Gifts:
1.Cookie mix in a Jar- fill the jar in layers with the dry ingredients needed for a cookie recipe. Cover the lid with fabric, tie with a ribbon along with instructions on adding the wet ingredients.

2. Mix your own bbq sauce or salsa. attach your own personalized label and ribbon to finish the look

3.Hot glue jelly beans to the lid and seal with mod podge. Tie a ribbon around the edge of the lid. Fill with jelly beans.


4. Fill with bath salts. Cover the lid with fabric and a ribbon coordinating with the color of the bath salts




So which idea will you try at home? Got a glass jar project we didn't cover? Post it here!

4 comments:

  1. I like this blog post... What wonderful ideas! I will think of this and feel a little guilt every time I throw away an empty jar :)

    OX~JENNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a jar saver too!!! I love to reuse jars for craft supplies, and also to make mod podge jars (mod podge glue from any craft store, and magazine pictures) with kids! The bigger the jar the better. The kids decorate them with pictures the kids like, and then use them to hold coins, treasures, etc. Great blog post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the great ideas. I am thinking of making bath salts for Christmas presents. I have been saving jars for a while now.

    My question is: What do you think would be the best paint to paint the lids?

    Thanks,
    Milissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about covering the lids with fabric and ribbon instead? That might be less work and less messy.

    ReplyDelete